Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Day In the Life Of....

Today we will stand back and look a day typical day in our lives right now. What does that look like? Do you have a routine?, a job that you go to every day?, children that you care for?, or a scheduled time to do things? Or maybe there is really no order to your life at all, maybe each day is random...write down YOUR experience.

I find this prompt an important part of finding out where our time is spent and also a way to help us identify the things that we really want to do that we are not making time for (like writing in your journal)! So write the things down that you are not fitting into your schedule today that you really would like to do. Then write ways that you can incorporate them or at least one of them next week. I have to schedule everything in because when I don't, it simply does not happen.

Some of you are thinking "You don't understand my life, I have no time or That is just selfish to think of my needs, I have people to take care of"! Let me remind you that as women we often take on the caretaker roll and never include ourselves as one of the people we take care of. This results in resentment, burn out and often there are health consequences.It is important to rest, exercise, do something you enjoy occasionally and to take care of you. This is not a selfish move. It would ONLY be selfish if you did ONLY what you wanted to do and at the expense of others.

For those of you that know me well (BUSY or LACK OF TIME) is my middle name. So your are preaching to the choir on this one..I promise!

This is always a self talk prompt for me as I , like many of you, struggle with taking time for myself. It is something I must do ON PURPOSE if it is to be done!

Three parts today..What a typical day in your life looks like? What are the things you want to do but have not scheduled time for? and how can you incorporate at least one of things in next week for yourself?

Have a Blessed Day!
Susan




1 comment:

  1. A DaY iN My LiFe-EvEr ChAnGiNg

    My day is dictated by my customers mostly. I work from home, so the phone rings at all hours of the day or night. I have set Customer Hours-which equal 50 hours a week- but feel guilty if it rings and I don't answer the phone. Workaholic!

    I usually wake up between 4:30 and 6:30 am, no alarm needed. Waking up depends on what I'm stressed about the night before that is still pending on my desk. It's also the best time to talk to China for importing. I don't drink coffee, so I have my caffeine on ice..a very large glass of Iced Tea. Folowed by my morning pills for all that middle aged stuff like cholestral, diabetes, allergies, etc. Then if it's a school day Courtney is up and I'm fixing breakfast, commenting on how she should wear her hair that day or which shirt is best for her pants (she is 14 and can dress herself, just can't decide on what goes together). Hugs, Kisses...Have a good day baby girl and confirm if there is after school practice for something, who needs rides, times, etc. Off to the shower. TMI. Breakfast and down the basement stairs I go to my office. Where I spend no less than 8 to 10 hours per day, only coming upstairs to pee or eat. I love my customers and I love designing Kitchens and Baths. Sometime around 5-6pm I come upstairs to either eat whatever my wonderful husband has fixed or cook. Then my favorite time of day is when we sit at the table as a family and talk about our day. I love hearing about Courtney, her friends, her teachers, her life in general. Usually after dinner I check my personal email and do this blog (if I haven't already done so) and lately I've been searching for mother of the bride dresses on the internet. Then it's an hour of Doug and Tricia time where we sit and read together, write in our personal journals (I keep a personal journal on top of this blog) and work on our marriage. After that it is free time for whatever I have energy left for. Usually in bed about 10pm to start again.

    That's an average day...but I also travel a great deal for my job...which means sitting in airports tethered to my cell phone, feeling guilty about leaving Courtney and wanting to get home to sleep in my own bed.

    Right now I can honestly say that this blog is probably the only me time I take each day. I wish I had a few more hours in my day to spend with Courtney. I wish I could afford a housekeeper so I didn't worry about the dust and grim that accumulates and I wish that laundry folded itself.

    Something tells me that tomorrow's day will involve shoveling mountains of snow...

    ReplyDelete